Thursday, August 25, 2005

Sam's Diary entries

Tuesday
Went down to school to watch Bend it like Beckham for Riss’ English class (first round, with 10 Purple). They loved it, especially Jasminda’s mum. Lots of laughs.
This afternoon I went to listen to the choir practice and I even got to make a few requests! It was great to hear “A New Commandment” – but it made me homesick for my church back home in Doonside.
I heard the PNG National Anthem too, which I hadn’t heard before. Plus the Marianville school song.
Then at night we went to Graham’s place in the city for dinner. He has an incredible view of Ella Beach from his window, and the flat was gorgeous – lots of art and stuff as well all the mod cons – including a huge screen for watching DVDs etc. Delicious meal and a fantastic dessert I couldn’t eat all of coz it was very rich – but yummy! Watched a lot of music videos – lots of fun.

Wednesday
Slept in this morning, so only went down for one class – Riss’ 10 Purple IT lesson, making posters with friendship poems and digital pictures of themselves and their classmates.
Spent a lot of the day resting, and trying to do some of my assignment (not much luck)
In the afternoon we heard a huge roar coming up from the school as the girls came home from their Inter-School Athletics carnival. They were assuming they had won, and the cheering went on for ages – all the war cries plus extra screaming and yelling.
Tonight we went out to dinner with the AVIs at Asia Aroma, so I got to meet some of Riss’ friends. We stayed over night in town – with Lea & Neville. They have a great view of the harbour from their unit and they like to watch The Glasshouse! Riss was very happy she got to see the end of McLeod’s Daughters after all (for the dress-ups, of course!).

Thursday
This morning we caught the school bus with the girls from in town.
Henri braided my hair while we watched Bend it Like Beckham with 10 Yellow.
Father Omero from the Seminary drove me & Riss around in the afternoon so I got to see a proper food market where Riss bought kau kau (sweet potato) and bananas & a coconut. We drove to various stores around Moresby, including an art gallery and artifact store where I bought a Sepik Mask to take home.
Every one liked my braids! Rasta Meri!
Ripper Rita! – we had a great meal, PNG style (cooked by Riss as Pia was still down at school, on duty). Learnt how to scrape a coconut with the girls next door (once again, Riss was a star at it, and I was a bit of a dud) and then how to milk it for the cream. They came over and admired my wedding photos after we’d been over there and admired their puppy. Dinner was yummy: the kaukau and bananas in the coconut we creamed, kakaruk curry + rice. Mmmm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home