Monday, September 05, 2005

Aw, how pretty

Today was the first day of the Mock Exams for both Grade 10 and Grade 12, but that didn't stop the assigments being due.

These are Grade 10 Home Ec projects - the girls had to make 2 of these gorgeous (in a surreal kinda way) decorations as part of their assessment, and there was a veritable garden on the teacher's desk this afternoon - scents and all. And who said there would be no craft lessons in high school!


On another note regarding all things beauty, I've recently become addicted to 2nd hand-clothes shopping ("Recently?!" I hear those of you who know me laugh - well, it's been a recent passion in-country at any rate). I don't know why it took me so long to hit the 2nd hands here in Moresby, but they are a total treasure trove - as well as a hot, smelly and crowded dumping ground - where dirty rags hang side by side with cast-off designer skirts. Just yesterday I got a red evening dress, a Basque almost-new skirt, and a Jacquie E shirt for a total of K7.50. Not bad!

Of course, this means I've been trying out these new outfits at school, much to the surprise of both staff and students who have been used to seeing me in the same old long skirts and shirts I've been wearing for the past 18 months (and getting VERY sick of). Experimenting with short skirts rather than ankle-length has had some interesting reactions, and today I was totally loving my latest acquisition, and feeling pretty good about it when one of the other teachers stopped me in the office and said "Ms Conolly you've been here 2 years and I've just noticed that you're growing". I thought she said 'going', but no, she then clarified that by saying I was growing in two directions - up and out! I thought (hoped) she was referring to my height as I tower over her (and most teachers) anyway, but today I had slight heels on too - but then our secretary helpfully chipped in with "Must be the kaukau. You're getting nice and fat!"

Oh dear...

Must remember, here in PNG being told you're looking fat is a compliment...

I refrained from pointing out that if this was Australia and she'd told me that I'd have decked her - but I did have a giggle about it with Pia later.

Is not being able to see more than waist-up in any mirror on campus a plus or a minus????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home